Thursday, February 7, 2013

Back to (Back) Singing!

As a frum singer, my work is seasonal. Detract the obvious 3 weeks and Sefirah, include the quiet June-August summer months when people are away, add the 2 big holiday months, Tishrei and Pesach,  and throw in a pregnancy or 3, and you're left with only a few dates that work all around. That said, I am thrilled and grateful to Hashem when I have concerts booked back to back, like I had the last few weeks. 

First was the Bais Shmuel Melava Malka in the home of Chavi Lebovic, a salad chef and hostess with the mostess. Chani gave a great presentation about preparing gorgeous and delicious salads and even though she commented to me that she was "uncomfortable speaking" she did a great job. (I told her not to worry cuz I am "uncomfortable cooking"). It was a cozy night, the kind that leaves you warm and tingly like a nice glass of white wine (see left of picture, there was plenty to go around...).

Chani prepared al of these salads and set up this table. Amazing. I couldn't manage that without breaking a serious sweat. Or at all.
Next was off to Miami for the Nshei Chabad Chof Bet Shvat gathering.
What was especially unusual about this series of concerts was the diversity of the audiences. From the gals in my Shul to my hometown in Miami Beach, the next gig was in front of my childhood, literally. There was my first grade teacher Mrs Bogerod, my elementary school principal Mrs Mermelli, my lovely and adorable aunt Goldie Tenenhaus who brought my favorite great aunt Tanteh Blanka (!!!) plus bunch of old friends from my Florida days. We sang and danced in the gorgeous home of my friend Peri who lives mamash ON the water, I kid you not. I learned a thing or two from the panel of speakers that included Aunt Goldie and old friend Tzippy Lehr. I am always extra thrilled and humbled when I can pick up a spark of inspiration and humor from the wise women who speak at such gatherings. It was a powerful, special night!
 


The next stop was the gorgeous West Palm Beach where Hindel Levitin (nee Deitch) lives with her 4 little daughters. On Shlichus, she hosted a magnificent program for the women in her community that included a silent auction, desert buffet and inspiring video about great women through the ages.
We had a grand ol' time and although it was hard to see through the spotlight I could hear the laughter and feel the tears. I also managed to grab 2 of the adorable glasses Hindel had printed with my name and a picture of a guitar! Best take-away EVER

 



The 4th stop of my musical tour, was the glorious Bas Mitzvah of Yakira Rosen. I'll let the pictures do the speaking. (Let's put it this way, I hope one day to have the beautiful family the Rosens do. It was awe-inspiring. Yakira is a very lucky girl to say the least.)
Last but not least was a Kumzits with the girls in Chaya Eidel Seminary in Hallendale. Sigh, to be a teenager again...



And no that is not a little sem girl. It's my Yaffa trying to glean some attention while I try to keep a straight face...Regards from Florida. (Look closely, it's a pretty funny picture...)

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back you! So glad to hear your singing voice and your writing voice. You're looking great.
    Wishing you the strength and endurance it takes to do what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're blogging again!! Love all the pictures and those cups with your name on it are so beautiful,,

    ReplyDelete