Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sometimes all you can offer is love.




If I had a dollar
For all of the sadness you had
I would open a store,
And put on the shelves
All the wishes and dreams
Any girl could’ve dreamed of and more
I would sell them for cheap
Maybe give them away
In exchange for a smile or two
But all I can offer today is a hug
And tell you how much I love you

I wish I could take away your pain
I wish I could mend your broken heart
I wish all my love would be enough
To make all your worry lines depart

If I had the wisdom
Of Einstein or Freud then I’d
Know what to say when you cried
I could solve all your problems
And figure out how
To restore what was left of your pride
But I’m not that smart
And I don’t understand
Why you suffer the way that you do
So all I can offer today is a hug
And tell you how much I love you

I wish I could take away your pain
I wish I could mend your broken heart
I wish all my love would be enough
To make all your worry lines depart

If I met a genie
Inside of a bottle
I’d ask for my wishes ‘to go’
Wrapped in a box
With a shiny red ribbon
A small card tucked under the bow
So that I could repay
Everything that I owe
For a debt that is long overdue
But all I can offer today is a hug
And tell you how much I love you

I wish I could take away your pain
I wish I could mend your broken heart
I wish all my love would be enough
To make all your worry lines depart

2 comments: