Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"The Special in the Child"

by Chana Harrel

I used to turn my eyes
At a body bent and broken
I didn’t know the words
So the words were left unspoken
And now I’m so ashamed
Cuz I know the pain that you’ve been through

I used to walk right by
Never taking time to bother
I didn’t know understand
Until I became a father
And now I’m not afraid Cuz my child is disabled too
And I’ve learned he is a blessing
Most will never get
And in this special child
I’ve found my greatest teacher yet

He’ll take you on a journey
Open up your eyes
You’ll find yourself in places
Where unknown beauty lies
He’ll let you know you’re human
That it’s ok if you cry

He’ll show you all the magic
That hides behind the door
He’ll prove to you, you’ll get there
That you don’t need wings to soar
Believe in your Creator
The One Who gave him that smile
And put the special... in the child

I used to wonder how
A mother kept on going
I didn’t understand
The strength she kept on showing
Little did I know
Just how proud she was of what he achieved
And just how much she believed
Until my son made me see...

He’ll take you on a journey
Open up your eyes
You’ll find yourself in places
Where unknown beauty lies
He’ll let you know you’re human
That it’s ok if you cry
He’ll show you all the magic
That hides behind the door
He’ll prove to you, you’ll get there
That you don’t need wings to soar
Believe in your Creator
The One Who gave him that smile
And put the special... in the child

He’ll give your life such meaning
He’ll teach you how to dream
He’ll break your inhibitions
And build your self esteem
He’ll love you without boundaries
He’ll make you reach for the sky
He’ll show you all the magic
That hides along the way
He’ll prove to you G-d listens
To His children when they pray
Believe in your Creator
The One Who gave him that smile
And put the special…. In the child

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog from the comments you left on mine (thanks!).
    I chose to leave one comment on an old post, but it encompasses a few of the newer ones as well. :)

    1- This poem (I only read it without music) is really lovely. Having a child with special needs is so multifaceted that it's hard to verbalize a lot of the feelings. I think these lyrics pinpoint a perspective that is usually not thought about.

    2- I think your blog is really funny! Cruel optometrist?? Ha! Don't worry, soon enough your girls will be posting kid photos of themselves on their blogs, sharing similar sentiments! I think that as kids, parents dress us in classic kid clothes, for the most part, and give us standard haircuts. Once girls approach adolescence, they want to be *in style* which can only lead to them ridiculing their own photos years in the future.

    3- I can't believe how many blogs I recognized in the list in your profile. And they're not even "connected" blogs (well, a few are)- it's like seeing a few of my unrelated internet worlds collide. :)

    4- Nice to meet you, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your writings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad to make a new blogger friend, it's so beautiful to see Jewish woman share so many good things with each other through nice Kosher blogs. Thank you for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete